TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-03 > 1205532794

From: "Mike More" <>
Subject: [TMG] OT: Genealogical Estate Planning
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:13:14 -0400

I don't know any libraries or archives that have unlimited capacity, so
don't be surprised if nobody is interested in all the paperwork that you
have collected over the years. They may be interested in your "finished"
product but that may also be limited to their local area of expertise.

Several years after her death, I went looking for a distant cousin's work
that had been left in her will to her local library. They told me that they
had no record of it. I eventually ended up corresponding with the local town
historian who told me that it had probably been tossed out as it did not
relate to the local area. Although my cousin had lived all her life there,
most of her ancestors were from Canada and Ireland and the local library was
not interested. I don't know if she had contacted the library before writing
her will.

I am currently the chair of our local genealogy society. I have twice turned
down offers to donate the "collection" of a deceased mother. One consisted
of eight boxes of material that had been collected over years of research;
the other was at least part of a filing cabinet. But none of it was
finished. There were numerous file folders with clipping, photo-copies and
perhaps even some original documents related to the family. One, at least,
was similar to the above example, where the family now lived in our area but
most of their roots were elsewhere. The problems are that we have no space
to store the material, a lack of volunteers to organize sort and make it
into a useful product (we are all trying to do our own genealogy) and, what
is the likelihood of anyone visiting our library for information on families
from other areas of the county.

So before willing your stuff to somebody, make sure that hey want it and can
make use of it.

Mike More

This thread: