TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-06 > 1213120550

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Direct Ancestral Line
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:55:50 -0400

Garry F Bell wrote:

> I want to accent/flag all my Direct Line Ancestors. Can
> it be done by way of a Report (Secondary Output), or do I
> have to do it manually?

The quick and dirty way to accent your ancestors is to set the Accent to:

Is an ancestor of ID# xx

where xx = your ID#.

The issue with this method is that if you data set is large, or you computer underpowered, this can slow down navigation between people noticeably. That's because TMG has to re-compute the ancestor tree each time to change focus person.

Better is to create a Flag, and then use that for the Accent, which works much faster because TMG just looks at the flag that has already been set.

If all you want is to mark ancestors, create a custom flag, with values N,Y.

The use the List of People report, with a filter of:

Is an ancestor of ID# xx

And the secondary output set to change your flag to Y.

Then, set the Accents to mark everyone with your custom flag = Y.

If you want a more complex set of accents, say with ancestors in one color, siblings of ancestors in another, cousins in a third, spouses of the preceding in a forth, etc., you might look at my article on Accents at http://tmg.reigelridge.com/accents.htm

Terry Reigel

This thread: