TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-06 > 1214153518

Subject: Re: [TMG] Unknowns
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:51:58 EDT

Thanks to all of you who responded to my initial query.
Firstly, you've reinforced the notion that I should keep UNKNOWNS in my
database as opposed to ignoring them when I do more research. As several have
mentioned, you've added unknowns and then made a connection later on. So, I
will be more apt to collect info on family surnames in my data base even if I
have no knowledge as of yet of who they are.

Secondly, Thanks for all the wonderful ideas on how to add UNKNOWNS to the
data base. It never occurred to me to do a one name study, but I really like
that idea. It allows you to focus more intently and narrow the focus of your
research. Sometimes, I think that I am so scattered. One day, I'm
researching my father's side; then I read an obit or a cousin from my mother's side
calls up and I switch to her side. It's fun but I think I might actually gain
more info by concentrating on ONE name.
I like the idea about the hypotheticals: 01, 02, 03. Adding a dummy
person is great, too. Given Name= SURNAME and Surname= PHELAN. That way you just
I'm also going to make a flag...connected or unrelated. I had initially
re-read Terry's Tips and saw the CONNECTED flag and thought "What a good idea".
I made the flag and then started the steps to APPLY when I began to laugh
aloud. I remembered that in my small data base, I had ONE UNKNOWN...Hee hee..
Yep, that's it. So I deleted the flag. But, that was before the research when
I gathered some unknowns. I began writing down PHELAN marriages from an index
for 1850-1880's and there were a lot. Soon, I began to skip many since I was
there for other research and I was getting tired. But, I went home with a
pit in my stomach because I kept thinking that I should collect the info "just
in case"..for future research. I have health problems and it is hard for me to
do the physical research. So, I know that I probably will not be going back
to these indexes in the future simply to research the UNKNOWNS when I still
have a lot of research to do on my KNOWNS. That's when I began wondering what
other people on the list do.
And to exclude the UNKNOWNS from my SS Site, I have a flag: SS PHELAN,
I'll just set the flag to NO for them until I can make a connection.
Thanks again everyone for all your responses and great ideas. I benefit
so much from all the people on this list and the time they take to answer!!
Terry