TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-06 > 1214159560

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Unknowns
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:32:40 -0500

Lee Hoffman wrote:
> Darrell A. Martin wrote:
>> If you put them in a separate dataset, they are not "visible". By
>> putting them in the same dataset as identified you can use all of TMG's
>> tools (without having to switch back and forth) to help you find
>> possible duplicates, identifications, etc.
> Well, yes and no. Data in other data sets of a project may or may
> not be visible depending on which data sets are active or inactive
> (enabled or disabled). If a data set is disabled (inactive), it is
> not visible and does not "interfere" with your (active) data. On the
> other hand, having multiple data set active (enabled) can cause the
> user to be confused at times when a person known not to be in a
> certain family/data set is suddenly displayed when the user has
> forgotten momentarily that a different family/data set is also active
> (enabled). Thus the "other" data set has "interfered" with the
> main data set (just for a second) in the same way that the same
> display _could_ "interfere" by being visible when in the same data
> set. In both cases, the user must be aware of what is going
> on. Neither is bad, both have their good points.
> Hope this helps -
> Lee Hoffman/KY

Hi, Lee:

All true. My response was a bit too simplistic. I should have said that
data in a separate dataset is not *as* visible as data in the same
dataset (meaning not only can be seen, but also can be modified -- in
the same ways).

Obviously both using one dataset and using multiple datasets have their
points. It's not an issue of right or wrong.

Darrell A. Martin

This thread: