TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-08 > 1218674487

From: Ida Skarson McCormick <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Tag for People Living Together
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:41:27 -0700

Not all states recognize common law marriages. For example,
Washington State does not, except that it will recognize a legal
common-law marriage that occurred in another state that does
recognize legal common-law marriages, prior to the couple moving to
Washington State. It is legal terminology and should not be used casually.

In the case that started this thread, one person engaged in the
liaison was not divorced from the legal spouse. Therefore, in this
case the liaison could not be a legal common-law marriage even if the
state/province allowed legal common-law marriage.

--Ida Skarson McCormick, , Seattle

>Bob Gillis writes:
> >I would make a new Tag as many, if not most, states do not recognize
>a"common law" marriage.>

This thread: