TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-08 > 1218939057

From: "The Gensis Project" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Tag for People Living Together
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:10:57 -0400

I checked out the website. I assume what is described there is present day
conditions so I wonder if there are states that had in the past recognized
common law marriages but no longer do. My parents is why I ask. Here are
the details as has been told my whole life.

My father got out of the Navy in 1960 and a short time later met my mother.
They lived together until they got a divorce in 1965 in Indiana. My mother
had my father's last name. My father has said he decided to get a divorce
to "do the right thing" since there were three children born to the
relationship.

That website doesn't list Indiana or Kentucky but it does list Ohio. We
lived for a short time just outside Cincinnati. Indiana may have recognized
the "common law marriage" because of the time spent in Ohio. The
relationship lasted less then the seven years usually associated with common
law marriages. I have wondered at times if they actually did marry but for
some reason didn't want to say so. Perhaps I need to go to where the
divorce was granted and look at the paperwork (if possible).

Robt C Parrish Sr
Genesis Project