TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-08 > 1219173564

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Re-numbering ....
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:19:24 -0400

Pat McGrath wrote:
>Thanks so much for your input. Basically I think it looks way too confusing
>to try to re-number people and there does NOT seem to be any particular need
>to do so.

Renumbering is not really confusing at all. It is easy to do. I do
it all the time. It just depends on what you want to do.

If you want to renumber just one existing person:
1. Select Tools=>Renumber people to display the Renumber
people window.
2. The ID# of the person currently in the Details window
will be in the From field. If you want someone else, enter their ID#
in the From field.
3. The current next ID# (the highest ID# plus one) will be
shown in the To field. If that is what you want then just skip on to 4. below.

In most cases, you will not want the default To ID#. In that case,
just enter any unused ID# in the To field. Since you may not know
which ID#s are not being used, just click in the To field and press
the [F2] key to display the List of Unused ID window. You can scroll
through that list, highlight the one you want, and click on the [OK]
button to select that ID# for the new ID# in the To field.

4. When you are ready, just click the [OK] button on the
Renumber people window and the person in the From field will be
changed to the number in the To field.

If you want to renumber all in a data set:
1. Select Tools=>Renumber people to display the Renumber
people window.
2. Click on the Renumber people in the selected data set option.
3. Select the data set to be renumbered.
4. Click on the [OK] button and the entire data set will be
renumbered. Note that this only removes the gaps and does this by
renumbering the person whose number is just higher than the unused
number to the unused number. So it starts with the lowest numbered
person above the lowest unused number and renumbers that
person. Then it takes the next up, etc. At the end, the only unused
numbers are those higher than the highest numbered person in the data
set and there are no gaps in the numbering.

As you enter a new person, you can change the proposed ID# to be
assigned the new person. Click on the ID field in the Add Person
screen and change the number to any unused number and continue
entering data for the new person in the usual way. If you are number
sure which ID#s are not being used then (with the cursor in the ID
field), press the [F2] key to display the List of Unused ID window
and select a number from it.

By the way, you can renumber Sources and Repositories in a similar
way. The difference here is that the [Renumber] button for these is
on the Master Source List window and the Master Repository List
window. You cannot change the Source ID# or Repository ID# of a new
Source or Repository as it is being added, but you can add it and
then renumber it.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;