TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-12 > 1229005993

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Full, then short place names in TMG reports
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:33:13 -0500

Lee Hoffman wrote:
> The normal or default Short Place Template (for the US edition on
> installation is:
> <[CITY], ><[COUNTY], ><[STATE]>
> but you can change it to (the default for the UK edition):
> <[L3], ><[L4], ><[L5]>
> which is the same thing or
> <[CITY], ><[STATE], ><[COUNTRY]>
> or
> <[L3], ><[L5], ><[L6]>
> or whatever suits your needs.

TMGers,

Let me emphasize that it's best to define the Short place template using the
[Ln] variables, so

<[L3], ><[L4], ><[L5]>

is better than

<[CITY], ><[STATE], ><[COUNTRY]>

The problem with using place level names such as "CITY" or "PARISH" is that
the given label may not be defined for all the places in a project. For
example, if you define a custom Place Style where the label for [L3] is
"Village" (not "CIty"), and the you assign that Place Style to one or more
places in your project, what does [CITY] mean for those places?

This is a somewhat involved issue and I know it confuses people. Please take
my advice and use the [Ln] fields in the Short place template even if you
don't understand my description of the issue.

John

This thread: