TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2009-01 > 1233239652

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Merging Projects
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:34:12 -0500

Lee Hoffman wrote:

> First, I don't recommend it and the exchange of data via
> GEDCOM files tends to lose data. Having said that,
> GEDCOM may be the only option. If someone is sending
> you data, first try to get the sender to send you a TMG
> backup file if they use TMG. If they don't use TMG, get
> them to send a copy of their actual database file (and
> let TMG read that file directly). If they are using a
> program that TMG does not import (not many) then they
> will need to send the data in GEDCOM form. If the data
> is just basic data (name, sex, and birth, marriage,
> death and burial date and place data) then GEDCOM usually
> transfers okay.

I totally agree with Lee's first statement above.

I can not see a reason to send a GEDCOM file, unless you are happy sending only BMDB data, and even then I'd be very reluctant because of the mess it makes of source data. Instead, send a Journal Report, which insures that the recipient receives exactly what you intended. Or, send a copy of a website made with Second Site.

If you send the Journal in an electronic form, or send a website, the recipient can copy and paste names, dates, and other information to get it accurately recorded in his or her system.

Terry Reigel

This thread: