TMG-L ArchivesArchiver > TMG > 2009-02 > 1235595369
From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] [TMG & SS] Best way to send info to others (Was SecondaryOutput to...
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:57:59 -0500
DE Neilley wrote:
> The problem is that the people I want to send information
> to *may* find it much easier to use the information I
> send them if they can output *some of it* in a printed
> So, presently, I am left with a choice (which, obviously,
> is mine to make): do I send the relatives a really
> impressive looking SS CD in which they can find people
> and move around in easily but not be able to print
> anything to work from; or do I send them my TMG generated
> reports on a CD, which they can open in a word processing
> program or PDF, look through, print various pieces, but
> have to spend time trying to figure out which of the 12
> reports a particular person or line is in ...
How about a compromise that does both? You could do this:
1. Create the website in SS you have envisioned.
2. Create a set of reports in TMG. Since all the details are in the website, you might consider making the reports much briefer - either by excluding some Tag Types from a Journal, or using Indented Descendants Charts or Pedigrees instead of narratives. Produce the charts (or reports) in pdf format, and include them on the CD.
3. Use the Group feature of the Custom Indexes to create a link to the pdf chart/report each person appears on. That would take a bit of work, especially if you end up with 12 of them, but then each person would have a link right there on their person page that opens the correct chart/report. Once open they could print it if they wanted.
The process for creating the links, broadly, is this:
- Figure out which charts or reports you will use, and whether they are ancestor or descendant types. Create a set of flags that match the charts. Use the LoP report to set the flags for each person in each chart.
- In SS, create a set of custom indexes based on these flags (no need to create any links, so the indexed can remain hidden if you don't want users to see them).
- Use the Group feature of the Custom Index to add a link(s) in each person page to the pdf charts/reports that contain that person.
|Re: [TMG] [TMG & SS] Best way to send info to others (Was SecondaryOutput to... by Terry Reigel <>|