TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2009-05 > 1242074082

From: Pierce Reid <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Photos - V7
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:34:42 -0700 (PDT)

Donald W. Range suggested:

<<Another option is Infanview. Free for private, noncommercal use at
http://www.irfanview.net/>>;

Irfanview offers two methods of reducing an image file size:

1. Menu: Image > Resize/Resample, to change the number of pixels used to define the image

2. Menu: File > Save As > file type JPG, with a "Save quality" that is somewhat lower (lower quality means more file compression and hence smaller file size).

Monochrome document images can be saved at quite a low quality without losing the readability. You have to be more careful with colour photos since at some point colours may be distorted.

I suggest installing all the available plug-ins, as these add useful features.

Irfanview can process a wide variety of image types - you can even get it to handle pdf files.

You may want to keep a copy of a photo at its original size, and use a "smaller" version for your data base.

When I want to see the effect of reducing the file size, I open both the original and the reduced size copies in Irfanview. I make the two windows the identical size, and align them so one exactly overlaps the other. I then use the Alt-Tab key combination to quickly switch between the two images. Any significant differences between the two images will seem to wink at you. You can zoom in to both images the same amount and see if there is unwanted degradation in any important area of the image.

Image quality is, to some extent, in the eye of the beholder. While large file sizes may not be a problem if they stay on one computer, as you see, they can be a problem when you want to share them. In that case, you should not use larger files than you need.

Pierce

This thread: