TMG-L ArchivesArchiver > TMG > 2010-01 > 1264742425
From: Kaye Wykoff <>
Subject: [TMG] Where to store emails
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:20:25 -0800 (PST)
I've been thinking about how and where to store emails that are used as sources in my TMG project. The way I see it, there are 4 options:
1. Keep all the emails in an email program like Outlook or Outlook Express (which I guess is dead now)
2. Keep the emails online on Yahoo mail, Gmail, Hotmail, etc
3. Copy and paste into Word (or another word processing program) and save on hard drive
4. Print out the emails and keep paper copies
Well, I said the emails used as sources, but I guess I really mean all email threads, that I deem important, exchanged with fellow researchers whether I use as a source or not. Some pros and cons seem obvious to some of the options above.
1. Emails that come into Outlook are not available online. The last time I used Outlook, the back up process was tedius at best. BUT Outlook is a great organizing tool.
2. Using Yahoo, there is no backup and I'm afraid that a glitch will wipe them out. HOWEVER, they are always available online where ever I am.
3. Copy and pasting into a processing program is a hassle
4. I'm really trying to do away with paper
Are there are other options? How do some of you do it? I'm always afraid the emails could be lost if I don't print them or save them in Word (which would be backed up regularly), but what a hassle. I like them online so I can access them anywhere anytime, but I'm afraid that a glitch may make them disappear.
Thanks for your ideas.
|[TMG] Where to store emails by Kaye Wykoff <>|