TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-01 > 1264745760

From: Kay & Bill Sturgeon <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Where to store emails
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:16:01 +1100

Kaye,
All my emails I have filed in my Correspondence File on my D Drive under
family groups/subfolder by person/ etc open with current email program
Mozilla but were created with Outlook Express and I believe all .eml
extensions would be the same. You just need to work out your own filing
system that suits you. Just highlight the email, in your inbox, or sent
box, and File/Save As and find your location.

I think I have mentioned in earlier posts that I put dates in front of
the subject of emails received and put TO/the date/subject on ones I
send. This has been working for me for 8 years now. Should you have a
person that you correspond with regularly, Subfolder by Year, then
subfolder again TO and FROM and just save the date in front of the
subject, this keeps them in chronological order of receiving and
sending. I use both methods depending on the person and amount of mail
generated.

The pathway could look like
D:\20\Correspondence FH\Black\John Black\2010\2010 01 10 Story about
John.eml. When you cite the email it is easy to find. I am now in the
process of scanning snail mail and emails prior to 2003 and putting them
in there, I too am going digital as much as I can, with the exception of
letters from loved ones now passed on, that I wish to retain.

There have been similar threads in the last few weeks.

Kay

On 29/01/2010 4:20 PM, Kaye Wykoff wrote:
> I've been thinking about how and where to store emails that are used as sources in my TMG project. The way I see it, there are 4 options:
>
> 1. Keep all the emails in an email program like Outlook or Outlook Express (which I guess is dead now)
> 2. Keep the emails online on Yahoo mail, Gmail, Hotmail, etc
> 3. Copy and paste into Word (or another word processing program) and save on hard drive
> 4. Print out the emails and keep paper copies

This thread: