TMG-L ArchivesArchiver > TMG > 2010-01 > 1264753609
From: "Chris" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Where to store emails
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:26:49 -0000
Hi - I keep all e-mails in Outlook - with back-up copies. I mean ALL since
I have not deleted any personal genealogy ones in the last ten years. I do
not keep copies of those on ROOTSWEB lists since there is a good on-line
archive of those. For the e-mails I quote as sources, I create a PDF
version and save that along with other documents. The name of the file
includes that date and time that I received it and the author's name - e.g.
20091024T1023-Jones_A_W.pdf. I have not yet considered archiving my e-mails
- primarily because the files are so huge that I'll need to await the next
generation DVD-ROMS (the 9GB ones). Yes - I could split the archive - e.g.
by year - but haven't managed to find the energy to do it <grin>.
From: [mailto:] On Behalf
Of Kaye Wykoff
Sent: 29 January 2010 05:20
To: TMG List
Subject: [TMG] Where to store emails
I've been thinking about how and where to store emails that are used as
sources in my TMG project. The way I see it, there are 4 options:
1. Keep all the emails in an email program like Outlook or Outlook Express
(which I guess is dead now)
2. Keep the emails online on Yahoo mail, Gmail, Hotmail, etc
3. Copy and paste into Word (or another word processing program) and save on
4. Print out the emails and keep paper copies
Well, I said the emails used as sources, but I guess I really mean all email
threads, that I deem important, exchanged with fellow researchers whether I
use as a source or not. Some pros and cons seem obvious to some of the
1. Emails that come into Outlook are not available online. The last time I
used Outlook, the back up process was tedius at best. BUT Outlook is a
great organizing tool.
2. Using Yahoo, there is no backup and I'm afraid that a glitch will wipe
them out. HOWEVER, they are always available online where ever I am.
3. Copy and pasting into a processing program is a hassle
4. I'm really trying to do away with paper
Are there are other options? How do some of you do it? I'm always afraid
the emails could be lost if I don't print them or save them in Word (which
would be backed up regularly), but what a hassle. I like them online so I
can access them anywhere anytime, but I'm afraid that a glitch may make them
Thanks for your ideas.
For searching the list archives and other list information, please go to
To contact the TMG List Administrator, send a message to
To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in
the subject and the body of the message
|Re: [TMG] Where to store emails by "Chris" <>|