TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-02 > 1265231235

From: "Teresa Elliott" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Tags explanation of each type? What have you added?
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:07:15 -0600

Jann,
Do you mean IN TMG or do you mean for others to use? I am going to answer
both.

IN TMG, I use the reminder window. Each tag has one. You can write whatever
you want in that window. I put what I created it for, what goes in each
memo field, what to put in the sort date field, how to fill out a name tag
for that tag type (I have a name tag for each tag type), etc. It can be as
little or as much as you want. It pops up when you create, or edit the tag.

Outside of TMG, if you need some suggestions on tag types and sentences lots
of us users got together years ago and compiled sentences and put them
together on my website at:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rutherfordcemetery/TMG.htm

Even though it says 6.0 they will still work in 7.0. Then Bob created the
sentences forum at:
http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php

There are lots of good suggestions there as well. So if you are looking for
suggestions of types of tags and sentences to create (you can create your
own, or copy ours, they are free for the taking) those would be some great
places to start. They were created by TMG users for TMG users just like you
asking those very questions.

Now for MILITARY, I use the Military Beginning but my role is enlisted
person ([:CR:][:TAB:][RF:enlisted person] served in the military <in the
[HID:]unit[:HID] [M1]> <as a [HID:]rank[:HID] [M2]><[D]> < [L]>. <[M3]>)
Then when he's discharged I use discharged ([:CR:][:TAB:][R:the discharged]
was released from active military duty <[D]> <[L]>. <[M]>)
Then along the way I have tags for draft cards, desertion, captured,
bountyland, medical, pensions, promotions, resignations, retirements, etc.
I add them as the documents deem necessary.

HISTORY tags are special tags that are used when a large group of people
were all at a special event in history at the same time. I might use it say
for the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion, or September 11, 2001, or
Christmas parade in our home town.

The Journal Conclusion and Intro tags are just tag. Tags that you can put
text into that will be an Intro or an ending to a journal report about a
special ancestor. You can type up as much text as you want and these special
tags print before the narrative about a person in only certain types of
reports. You will want to read the help file to learn more.