TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-02 > 1265398525

From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Technical Support was RE: Print Screen
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:35:25 -0500

I try to give tech support a break and see if I can't solve the problem via
message board or mailing list, first. Only if that fails do I contact the
developer's support methods. I'm not just being kind to tech support, although
there's an element of that because I've done tech support. I find I usually get
a much faster response on a message board or mailing list, and sometimes, the
help from fellow users is better.

When I message a list, like this one, I'm contacting hundreds of subscribers.
When I email tech support, I have the attention of one person. I may be
communicating with a real expert, or I may be messaging with someone on their
first day on the job.

It is also sometimes the case, in larger companies, that the tech support people
don't know <bleep>, and they're just reading boilerplate from a help database.
If they haven't picked the right entry in the help database, they're reading me
the wrong solution, without any comprehension of what they're doing. Over the
years, I've had several give me irrelevant, even damaging advice. I doubt that
would be the case with WhollyGenes, but I've certainly run into it with some of
the bigger developers.

YMMV.

Diana

P.S. Support is a huge expense for software developers. The more we use it,
the more our software costs.

This thread: