TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-02 > 1266977748

From: "David Ball" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Actual place of birth and death
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:15:48 -0800

I agree with Terry about the death tag place being where the person died. To add to
Terry's comment there are a couple of options that I use. When a person died in a town
different than "home" there is the option to add a residence tag dated with year only for
the last documented year the person lived in a given town. I don't bother with this when
there are lots of other events for the person in their home town.

Then there is the special case when dealing with data obtained from the Social Security
Death Index: in the death tag I leave the place of death blank (unless confirmed by
another source) and add a memo that says "SSDI lists last residence as town, county,
state". My experience with SSDI is that some of those "residences" relate to the location
of the person (perhaps power of attorney) that is handling the affairs for the person that
died (rather than the person themselves) or something like a postal box location verses a
rural residence.

Dave Ball

This thread: