TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-04 > 1272478660

From: Rick Van Dusen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Complete Export/import of TMG data sets
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:17:40 -0700

Okay. Apparently I was not on that list of "a handful of people who
understand" this term. It's a completely different issue than TMG
default paths.

I do understand the concept, though, and now the term (and I'll re-read
Jim's use of it).

While I agree with the concept of keeping data in a data place, and with
the concept of discreet locations for the data of different users (both
are early or original features of Unix/Linux), I'm not convinced that
even up through Vista/7 MS has done this right. And it can't be disputed
that it ends up with some complications in the scheme of file locations
(e.g. long paths), and that these complications may confuse users who
have a habit of putting data elsewhere (as was completely our choice in
Windows 3 and earlier, and mostly so in Win95/98).

But that's my opinion. Meanwhile, the need is to work with it.

I don't have experience with Vista, but through XP, I find that my use
of D:\ as my "user data path" has caused no "misunderstandings" with
Windows.

And having re-read Jim's and John's interaction, I guess I'm still not
on the list of those who "understand the distinction of what is and is
not a 'legitimate user data folder'". I don't know what Vista/7 would do
with my D:\ .

Terry Reigel wrote:
> Rick Van Dusen wrote:
>> Seems to me that the term "legitimate user data folder"
>> could be replaced with the term "default data storage
>> path".
>
> Rick,
>
> No, I don't think so. It means any location which Windows (meaning Vista or Windows 7) does not block for the storage of user data. The key issue here is that starting with Vista, Windows enforces the previously recommended prohibition against storing user data in "program space" for security reasons. TMG offers a default location that is within Window's standard space for storing data for that user, but there are other locations you can use as well. It seems quite a few users prefer to set up a separate logical or physical drive for all their data, and TMG can deal with that, and other legitimate locations, quite well.
>
> Terry Reigel

This thread: