TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-08 > 1282841847

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Wish List includes custom relationship tags - wasRegarding married names
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:59:10 -0400

John Cardinal wrote:
>I agree with most of what you wrote, but I wanted to comment on this:
>
> > If the Relationship Tag is non-Primary for the child then the Relationship
> > Tag is ignored completely. Nothing ever prints for a non-Primary
> > Relationship Tags.
>
>Second Site has an option to show non-primary Relationship Tags. The
>non-primary tags are listed in the "parent" section of the person page entry
>and sorted after the primary tags. Some users add godparents this way, for
>example.

Yes, SS does allow some of what I am wanting.

>As with most customizations, when including non-primary
>Relationship Tags, users have to be careful to avoid showing things they
>don't want to share.

This would also apply to standard relationship Tags as well. and is
what I addressed in my reference to Exclusion, Sensitive, or other
marking for non-printing. This marking can be done on a global
basis, but in many cases individual control is needed. For example,
Andrew Jones and Sam Brown were both adopted children. Andrew is an
adult and has known about his adoption for many years and has no
problem with it being publicized. On the other hand Sam, is only
five years old, doesn't know that he was adopted, and really doesn't
know what adoption is all about. Even if Sam were somewhat older
(say teenager and knew about his adoption, he or his family may
prefer publication of his adoption to be withheld. Thus, global
control can be used for general control , but individual overrides
should be available for situation like Sam.

The easiest way to control the situation is to only print data for
persons that are deceased. This doesn't always eliminate all
problems (grand-aunt Josie may not like her adoption printed), but it
gets rid of most of them.

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;