TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-09 > 1285601976

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Another filter difficulty
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:39:36 -0400

Nick Shelley wrote:
>I am perturbed by a seeming difference between the filter used by
>Project Explorer and that used by Individual Narratives and Journals. I
>should add that the project has been optimised, reindexed and validated
>before the following filters have been applied.
===clipped===
>According to Project Explorer I have 422 people whose Living flag is set
>to N, whose type flag is set to P(erson) and whose surname is not
>between A or Z (ie: who have no given surname - or put another way those
>who only have a given name); ie:
> Surname <is not between) A,Z
> Type = P
> Living = N
>The filter is also filtered for primary names only

From your description here, it appears the filter you are using is like:
Surname Is not between A,Z AND
LIVING = Equals N END
And the Primary radio button is selected at the bottom of the window.

What this will give you is the number of people who: (1) are living,
(2) have a surname that does not start with any of the characters A
through Z. That is, the Surname starts with a non-alphabetic
character (numeral, punctuation character [including the Conditional
Marker]). The selected persons may or may not have GivenNames (the
filter does not care).

To get persons _not_ LIVING, who do not have a Surname, use a filter like:
LIVING = Equal N AND
SURNAME Is empty END

>If an added filter line is added:
> Given Name <is between> A,J
>the total people who meet these criteria is 229
>
>If the filter is altered to
> Given Name <is between> K,Z
>the total number of people is 191

Again here, you are filtering for people whose name starts with a
non-alphabetic character.

>What am I doing wrong?

The difference between the PE and the report filter is probably that
the one is filtering for Primary names only and the other is not.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;