TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-09 > 1285708278

From: Neal McEwen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Website source question.
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:11:18 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Rick Van Dusen <>

>Throwing another question into the mix (and I have no answer for it;
>sorry): Is the graveyard the repository, because it's where the grave
>is? Or is the website (e.g. Findagrave) the repository, since that's
>where the data about the grave is stored?

Interesting question.  I think the graveyard, because that is where the stones
reside.  On the other hand Findagrave is a veirtual repository.  Does this mean
that Ancestry.com is a repository?

>One logical view: For a book on the Battle of Baltimore, would the
>repository be Fort McHenry where the battle took place? Or would it be
>the library where the book resides?

I vote for the library

And we've run through this question before about when/whether a Website
is a repository. I don't recall that we nailed down an answer.

==
I would say, though, that finding a method that makes data entry
non-repetitive (both in terms of keyboard input and in terms of data
files) is a good thing. That inclines me toward putting the data
specific to one citation into the CD, but putting only the different
part there. (Not sure how that best fleshes out in this case.)