TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-11 > 1288903359

From: Ian Singer <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Fwd: Re: Upgrades
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:42:54 -0400

On 11/4/2010 4:07 PM, Terry Reigel wrote:

> Thanks - I see that now. I tried to get to the charts before but I
> seemed to need to sign in. So the advantage isn't with the narrative
> reports but with other types of reports and charts.

My site requires zero access or signing in. If you saw otherwise it must
have been due to server maintenance.

>> Remember the site is wide open and information on living people is
>> displayed.
>
> Many folks think it is risky to post details on living people. Does
> everyone who is included know you do that?

If they give me information I tell them it WILL be published. If you
disagree don't give it to me. My privacy policy is also very clear and
shows on every page footer within the TNG section.

>> All source info is listed in the memo field in TMG and privatized
>> with { } so that it does not export.
>
> So I assume if you actually entered sources in TMG they would appear
> in some fashion?

They are all in memo section and privatized so the only place they are
visible is when I am in TMG on my computer and open the tag to read it.

>>> - No linkages to others involved in events. For example, when
>>> parents of a spouse are mentioned there is no link to them.
>>> Events with multiple participants do not include links to those
>>> other participants.
>
>> I think that is a limitation of GEDCOM and the fact that I do not
>> use roles, sources or witnesses.
>
> It is only in part because you don't use Witnesses, and because
> GEDCOM wouldn't include them if you did. But Second Site (I don't
> know about HTML reports from TMG because I've never used them) by
> default makes the names of parents of spouses, and the second
> principal in any tag, a link if that person is included in the site.
> Participants beyond those will appear as links if they are entered as
> witnesses and you include them in the output.
>
> I see this as a key feature in transforming a two-dimensional "paper"
> report into the unlimited flexibility of web pages. It means readers
> can easily go in any direction, following any path of interest,
> rather than just reading down the page as one has to do with paper
> reports.
>
>>> - Use of "fake" child with given name "None Known" instead of
>>> using "No Known Children" statements.
>>
>> That started because in some reports I was told that TMG had a
>> problem and if there were no children the parents (well they are
>> not parents as there are no children) would not show. The only way
>> to get them to show was to add the fake child.
>
> TMG's Journal report does show descendants without children, but only
> in the list under their parents. If you want them to appear with
> their own generation you need to do as you have done.
>
> I had assumed, apparently incorrectly, that you had done it to
> indicate that you knew the couple had no known children. You can do
> that (or any alternate wording you like) by using the
> NarrativeChildren tag for Journals, or FamilySectionNote tag for
> Second site.
>>
>>> I was surprised to see that it appears that the text is generated
>>> by use of TMG's Sentences.
>>
>> I probably type it into the TMG memo. TNG does not have sentences.
>> eg for me, person #170 I have an occupation tag in TMG and the memo
>> field says:
>>
>> "in US Army {with service number of RA 18 847 144} and discharged
>> as an SP4. .... screens full of data until...This was all possible
>> as we considered ourselves to be non military and worked a five day
>> a week reporting to Warrant officers."
>
> That leaves me confused. I see the output of that tag on your site,
> and it begins "He was in US Army and discharged..." So where does the
> "He was" come from? In a TMG or Second Site narrative, it would come
> from the Sentence. If it's not part of the Memo, TNG must be
> supplying it.

Good question it is not coming from the GEDCOM and I was not aware of a
sentence structure being in TNG so I will ask on that list. BUT going to
http://www.iansinger.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I170&tree=Singer
it actually says "in the US Army...." so one of us is seeing things!

> Where does this text come from: "As of 20 Sep 1947, he was also known
> as Yisrael David ben Dan Laib (170) hebrew name."

Again I do not see that. I think you might be looking at the wrong
thing. There is a preface page that has links to three reports. The
first ones are TMG narratives and the next is an entry point to TNG
which is directly at http://www.iansinger.com/genealogy/index.php

>> (That particular memo got me e-mail last week from somone who was
>> also in my military unit that he found on Google
>
> That's the virtue of posting information on the web. :-)

That's the advantage of a wide open site!

Ian Singer
--

See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894