TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-11 > 1288928930

From: Dean Scribner <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Russian surname declension
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 20:48:50 -0700

Darrell writes:

"As I understand it, using the Russian plural for the "family name" is
not accepted in American English (genealogically or otherwise)."

Katherine is quite correct, because American English is no longer
conventional. If we're not familiar with the Russian plural, we'd better
get used to it. American English has become about as unconventional as
is possible, and continues to evolve. After taking a course in Russian
from the priest in the Russian Orthodox Church above the high school at
the top of Park Street Hill, my roommate in my first year of college was
Luis Mario Flores B. Garcia, whose mother was a Russian Brusilovsky.
Pretty conventional, isn't it?

Dean

This thread: