TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-11 > 1288932315

From: "Peter Frederick" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] [Bulk] Re: Gaia software
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:45:15 +1000

FYI: Look at DynDns http://www.dyndns.com/about/home_solutions.html

It will allow you to have a 'published' domain name even if you have a
dynamic IP address. We use it at work now for a site that has a NextG
(wireless) broadband gateway that only offers dynamic IP addresses. Most of
our addresses are static but this allows us to treat even the dynamic ones
in a similar fashion.

You run a small agent on your local computer that 'publishes' your current
dynamic IP to a server at dyndns.com which then makes it available to anyone
that is interested. It's free and reliable. Worth looking into if you have a
dynamic IP and want to be able to get to it from the outside internet
reliably.

That way you don't have to send communications from A to B C D (etc) that
may be interested in finding your machine to VPN into.

In any case, running TMG across this type of WAN (ie VPN) is technically not
too hard but there are many possible problem areas. Most people (without
networking knowledge) would find it difficult. It's likely to be slow and
possibly unreliable. I would also think there is a good chance that your TMG
database could get corrupted or damaged. Controlling record locks/contention
with users based in different cities or perhaps continents is difficult,
these are features that large database vendors spend lots of time and effort
solving.

TMG just not designed to work that way. Assuming it does work reliably on a
LAN (with some limitations), then you might get some satisfaction out of
installing TMG on a Windows server and accessing it via RDP. This would
involve additional server licencing costs but RDP works quite well over ADSL
links.

My personal opinion is that if you are looking at a truly collaborative
family tree project, then wiki based projects like WeRelate (see
www.werelate.org) have lots of potential. Of course this brings up issues of
control, unauthorised changes etc that eventually will be a problem in the
wild wild west of the Internet.

My .02c worth
Peter

Brisbane, Australia - Long time lurker