TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2010-11 > 1289414889

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Difference in file size
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:48:09 -0500

Roaminoz - wrote:
>your wrote ...
>
>snip
> ..... You don't see it anymore, but it remains
> > in the file (it can be recovered if it is needed, but it takes some
> > special work to do this). After a time, these deleted and discarded
> > records can build up in the project files.
>
>just how do you do this ... recover deleted data ?

This cannot be done in TMG itself and requires special processing
outside the program -- normally via Tech Support. Basically, if you
delete something in TMG, it is gone. This is why so much emphasis
is placed on creating project Backups in TMG.

I only mentioned that it can be recovered because almost all decent
database managements systems provide a work-around to do what is
often called a "soft delete" in which the "deleted" data in the
database is marked as deleted and then is not seen but is still
physically within the file. At a later time, a process is run to
actually remove the data marked as deleted and reduce the size of the
file to what it really should be. Some database operations like this
are called "pack" (as in close up unused space) or (for TMG) "Optimize".

Prior to packing or Optimizing, any data marked as deleted _can_ be
recovered, but it requires the native database Management
program.. If you have Visual FoxPro (v9, I think), you can process
the files and remove the deletion marks. However, be sure that you
understand the file structure of TMG well before trying this. That
is, backup, backup, backup.

Normally, it is not worth doing this kind of recovery as deletions in
TMG are mostly done one record at a time. In such a case, it is a
lot simpler to just add the record back in the normal manner. If you
find that you have gone through a plethora of deletions and then
realize that the whole deleted line was the wrong one _AND_ you don't
have a backup (shame! <g>), _AND_ have not Optimized then I would
suggest contacting Tech Support. They can do it, but it can be
somewhat labor intensive, and may take some time. In the meantime,
you can't do anything but wait. A better bet would be to have
Backups. A Restore would only take minutes.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;