TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-01 > 1294559611

From: Bob Velke <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] [Bulk] Re: Same-sex couple with child
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 02:53:31 -0500

Michael,

>> Like the Pedigree, Journal and many others,
>> it is a lineage-linked report. That is, the people comprising the
>> major sections of the report are necessarily connected by blood.
>
> NO!! That is *your* interpretation of those reports, simply because of
> what people *you* chose to assign to Primary parental relationships.

You're mistaken, Michael. TMG doesn't "impose" a meaning to the two
halves of a standard Pedigree Chart, for instance. Those meanings were
"imposed" by other people long before I arrived on this planet.
Individual researchers and the community as a whole will therefore
interpret the halves of a Pedigree chart in a very specific (and
biological) way, regardless of what creative (and social) way you might
have intended.

As I've said many times, the primary parents are treated by TMG as
biological ones. By putting adoptive ones there, you're saying that you
want TMG to interpret them as biological, regardless of the label.
That's what TMG will do - without being a judge of how well you
interpreted your data. But by giving you the sole authority over the
interpretation of your evidence, I don't think that the program assumes
an obligation to also allow you to manipulate the laws of nature -- or
the existing community/industry standards that are based on them.

And as I said in relation to the FGS, if you want to design a new
"social ancestor" report, then you'll be breaking new ground and maybe
setting new standards -- and I'm happy to work with you. But don't
expect to get the same reception when you assert the right to co-opt an
existing standard that is understood by the community to have a very
specific and altogether-different meaning.

But for a possible response to a subsequent message from Judy Madnick
(since I was responding to her problem), I have said my peace and will
now crawl back into my programming hole...

Bob Velke
Wholly Genes, Inc.

This thread: