TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-01 > 1294596475

From: Donald Joseph Schulteis <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Same-sex couple with child
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:07:55 -0800 (PST)

This subject is a hard nut to crack. I agree with Judy and with Verminator!

Human life, to this point anyway, begins with the union of sperm, coming from
a male, and an egg, coming from a female. Further, the male and female are two
people joined in a life union which is referred to as marriage. 100 years ago
this was a fact of life. Today it is not so fact full. In 100 years, who
knows. For a given child, in the overall, two people are predominate in
nurturing them through life and our society has the child to refer to these
individuals as "father" and "mother" as did their ancestors for decades upon
decades back. The words "father(male)" and "mother(female)" are contrived
words. What I am saying, we humans made the two words up and gave them
meaning. On the other hand, we now may have sufficient need to use different
words when "Father" and "Mother" do not necessarily mean what is reality, and
the "union" of two partners exists rather than "marriage". We need three *new*
words which are sexless and have similar meanings.

Simplification, yes, but you have to start somewhere.

Do not believe this is a TMG issue. It is a society issue. When society
presents the words, TMG can then be updated and move forward. Then, "biology"
will not be overriding but "family" will, as far as the software is concerned.
And, the product name "The Master Genealogist" will have to be renamed such as
"The Master Family Historian".

Donald

Donald Joseph Schulteis
"The Omnibus Portal"