TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-01 > 1295043489

From: Rick Van Dusen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Conclusions
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:18:09 -0800

As Lee and John have given instances of, there are specific cases that
discredit your claims.

I'll accept that you "know for a fact" your children's' births (I
certainly know mine), but *I* don't know for a fact that you know for a
fact or that if you told me them, you'd not made any typos,
misspeakings. I'd cite the info as "Teresa/their mother told me",
without adding any assertion of accuracy.

A personal-testimony "know for a fact": I remember very clearly my
father and my mother-in-law dying the same week. (My daughter, eleven at
the time, was home ill from school, and answered both calls--a bit
traumatic.) However, almost a decade later, early in my genealogy work,
I got my father's SSDI record, and found that the date of death I
"clearly remembered" was one day different from the SSDI. Guess what: I
really am not sure which is correct. (One of these days, I'll get other
documentation.)

Sorry; I'm not dissuaded from my "'know for a fact' phobia".