TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-01 > 1295118715

From: Rick Van Dusen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Conclusions
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:11:55 -0800

In your reply here I don't see any difference between your thinking and
mine.

1. I would not ignore the testimony of any person or documents.

2. I usually end up giving some "weight" values to different sources
(but this is where I'm skittish; would rather just cite them w/o comment).

3. Definitely, I would not try to correct a document, nor an index which
correctly indexes the erroneous document.

4. However, though I won't dispute you making a note, to me, if the
evidence is all there, the reader can see the issue and doesn't need my
note. (This is different, IMO, from a case where my research reveals a
non-obvious reason to think the source is not reliable. That's where I
would definitely think a note is not only warranted but essential.)

(5. I should note again that with the entry of names, some of my
practice, if not my thinking, has been shaped by years of using a
non-TMG gen app that would record only one name. I had to choose "the
best" name. In TMG, thankfully, that's not necessary; I can enter and
separately source any number of names. It's still necessary to choose
the most likely one as primary, though, which sometimes has to be done
more as a guess than as a scholarly "conclusion".)

Teresa Elliott wrote:
> I haven't ignored the birth certificate, in fact I have a copy of it in my
> database (and my filing cabinet). Neither am I ignoring the testimony of
> people who filled out FGS, and who knew this man from birth. I am just
> giving both equal weight. I would not try and correct the document, though
> this man certainly could. But in my notes to the birth tag (and his primary
> name) I have indicated that I believe the birth certificate to be in error.

This thread: