TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-01 > 1296317464

From: "Tom Momeyer" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Where can I enter a reference number for sources?
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:11:04 -0500

Back to the original message from Blake," As I'm just getting started with
entering different types of sources, I may lump some and split others, but
that decision will come as I encounter it. It would be a PLUS if I could
enter the reference numbers the SAME way and at the SAME place, whether I'm
splitting or lumping the sources I'm working on."

Rick said, "Thus I see the Repository and its Reference as the logical place
for describing the location of a source."

Yes, that was one of the options on the table - as the location for the
personal file number or name for various family history records, documents,
photos, etc. Responses from others included using the TMG source #, the
repository reference field for a source, the reference field for a citation
(CREF), and creating a custom source type (FILE NUMBER, or similar). Using
the repository reference field only (as Rick noted above) doesn't address
the issue that Blake raised, that some sources may be created that may
consist of several itemsa numbered / named differently (lumper style) where
the item # / name could then move into the citation reference field (CREF).

So, where Blake said, "It would be a PLUS if I could enter the reference
numbers the SAME way and at the SAME place, whether I'm splitting or lumping
the sources I'm working on", from the responses on the listserv, this may
not be do-able. My method to date has been to use the repository reference
field most of the time and the citation reference field for only those cases
where the source is made up of multiple items that are filed / named /
numbered differently. To get to the bottom of whether there are any
downsides to having the file # / name in two locations probably entails
doing some testing - looking at printed reports with the file # / names
included, and looking into how easy / hard it would be to find the file # /
name in a search (for instance to see if or where an item was used in TMG).

Tom

This thread: