TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-02 > 1297737814

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Latitude and Longitude Conversion
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:43:34 -0500

Darrell A. Martin wrote:
> Somewhere in the conversation somebody probably mentioned what the
> internal format for TMG's storage of lat/long data is, and I
> missed it.
> Regardless, in my opinion the internal storage format is not as
> important as the displayed format(s). Users do not typically see the
> internal format for lat/long any more than we see the internal format
> for dates. The display format(s) are what we work with, and
> so are the
> ones that are important to us. TMG's display formats for lat/long
> provide an *apparent* level of mathematical precision which is not
> appropriate, given the limits of the way the data is stored. (I am
> depending on reported behavior for this statement; I have not
> tested it.
> However, you have not said anything that contradicts it.)

Darrell,

Perhaps my language misled you. TMG does not really have an "internal"
format: the representation you see is the same text that is stored in the
database. Let's call it the "TMG format". TMG may convert its format to
other forms as part of specific processing, such as building a link to an
online mapping service, but that processing is limited by the TMG format
because that is how the data is saved to the database.

What you see is what you have is what you get.

John

This thread: