TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-02 > 1298694057

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Error message - unable to open project
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 23:20:57 -0500

TMG wrote:
> My rationalization is this: When I restored the
> next-to-the-last backup,it gave me back the missing file.
> When I then restored the last backup, the missing file
> perhaps remained because there was nothing to overwrite it. I
> suspect that that's a HUGE rationalization!!!!

Judy,

it may very well have worked that way. Unfortunately, that's not a good
outcome. If the missing file is out of date compared to the other files in
the last backup, then that may introduce subtle errors. It depends on what
edits occurred after that.

So, for example, any relationships after the next-to-last backup you added
will be missing. Worse, citations you added to the missing relationships are
sitting in the citations table and are orphaned. If you start to add the
citations back in, the citations could be reattached, but not necessarily to
the same relationships as when you added them.

Cut your losses. One day of data entry is not that much to lose, and
worrying that you've introduced errors into the project is worse than
repeating the data entry.

> But I know I want to belirve this because today I entered a
> lot of info and failed to back up regularly. Don't yell. I
> have obviously learned a lesson.
>
> Is there any way to test the backup?

You did it already. You tried to use the most recent backup and it failed.
That's the test that matters.

> And what would cause the loss of this particular file?

I don't know, and that's partly why I am interested to hear what Jim has to
say.

John

This thread: