TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1299509176

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Adding memo to Marriage tag
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:46:16 -0500

Judy Madnick wrote:
> Is there a way to accomplish this as a memo to the Marriage
> tag, or would it be better to just use a separate tag,
> perhaps just an Anecdote?

Judy,

There's probably a way to make the sentence work, but I think a separate tag
is better. I wouldn't use an Anecdote tag. I'd make a custom tag and set the
sentence to start with the leading carriage returns. Here are some custom
tag ideas:

Wedding Announcement - only for transcribed wedding announcements
Announcement - more general (birth announcement, anniversary?)

You could create a tag type even more general than Announcement and use it
for all transcribed items from newspapers, but that's probably too general.

By using a custom tag for something you transcribe, you can choose whether
or not to include the transcription in a report. So, for example, in a
summary journal report where you want to focus on lineage, you could omit
the announcement(s) by de-selecting the tag type.

If you want to be able to include or exclude certain types of announcements
from the outout, use specific tag types such as Wedding Announcement. If you
are sure you'll always include or exclude all annoucements together, use a
general tag type such as Announcement.

John

This thread: