TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1299610614

From: Rick Van Dusen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] design question
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:56:54 -0800

Okay, that helps me to grasp this. And yes, I can see that approach: Any
number of "participants", with the possibility of marking any number of
them as principal.

And I can see also the approach of showing or hiding that functionality
for different "tag types" (or whatever discriminatory basis). For
example, typically, it would be appropriate only to have one principal
in a death, and the program user might well be prevented from entering
the deceased, the doctor, the paramedics, the spouse, etc., as principals.

----------
Side comment on this issue: I have no problem conceptually with making
only the HOH or the HOH and spouse the only principals for a Census
entry. In fact, were it possible to know, I'd prefer to put only the
interviewee as the principal.

No matter how we use witnesses in our Census entries, IMO it's a whole
lot better than what I did in FTM, a separate "tag" for each person for
each Census.

John Cardinal wrote:
> Rick Van Dusen wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get my head around how the
>> principal/witness feature fails to represent reality. In most
>> weddings, there are two principals and everyone else is a witness. In
>> most baptisms, there is one being baptized and everyone else is a
>> witness. In most births and most deaths, there is one born or died,
>> and anyone else is a witness.
>>
>> I can see how some events might not fit this, but I'm having
>> trouble coming up with an example, or thinking how many might be
>> principals. I can imagine an event with all witnesses, but not sure
>> how that works out either.
>
> Rick,
>
> I don't lose any sleep over the limitation to have only one or two
> principals, but I can imagine some uses for more. If the two owners of a
> property sell that property to two other people, then there are four
> principals. As someone else already mentioned, a family enumerated in a
> census isn't really a principal (or two) and a set of witnesses.
>
> If I were implementing a new genealogy application today, I'd use a
> different approach. On the database side, I'd allow any number of
> participants and include a property to indicate if the participant was a
> principal to the event or not. In the user interface and application code,
> I'd at least consider exposing that functionality for some types of events,
> if not all.
>
> John

This thread: