TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1299611540

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] design question
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:12:20 -0500

Rick Van Dusen wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get my head
> around how the principal/witness feature fails to
> represent reality....
>
> I can see how some events might not fit this, but I'm
> having trouble coming up with an example, or thinking how
> many might be principals. I can imagine an event with all
> witnesses, but not sure how that works out either.

I've seldom found the limitation to two Principals to be an issue. But I've found at least two cases where there are actually more than two principal players in an event.

One is in real estate transactions, where there can be multiple buyers or sellers who are in my data set, or when both buyers and sellers are in my data set there are often more than two people involved.

Likewise I have cases where multiple people are involved in the family business, and I want to enter them all in the same Occupation tag.

While not truly events, I also have special-purpose tags entered for Second Site, such as section headers and links to other pages, where all the participants are essentially principals.

For all but the Occupation case I find entering some of the principals as Witnesses works just fine. I control the output by the use of Roles. In the case of the Occupation tag, I found it was easier to get the output I wanted by creating a custom Occupation tag in the History group, so that everyone was entered as a Witness.

Terry Reigel

This thread: