TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1299866996

From: "Michael J. Hannah" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Addresses in event tags? If so...
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:09:56 -0700

On 3/9/2011 Ian asked:
> For those that do use witnesses, and do not export to GEDCOM,
> can you give a simple run though on how that would be done
> and what it looks like in the note field or where ever it is done?
>
> If People are A&B they marry and move to A's address in New Town.
> Then they have son C but he dies after 2 months. Then daughter D.
> They A, B, move to Newer Town and have daughter E. Then A gets
> drafted and is sent to Iraq. Then B has a child from man F and
> the child G remains living with her but is nit adopted by A.
> Then A comes home an A,B,D,E and G move to old town.
> Then D goes off to college in College Town and A,B,E and G
> move again to Newest Town.
>
> If I understood witnesses I think I would be severely confused.

Hi Ian,

The concept of TMG Witnesses is simple: it allows multiple people to be
linked to a *single* tag. Further, TMG allows *each* linked person,
whether Principal or Witness, to either use a common or have their own
unique Memo and narrative sentence for output from that single tag.
(This second point is important, because with GEDCOM you only get one
memo or text per tag. With TMG you can have separate memos/sentences
for _each_ linked person to that single tag. With GEDCOM the only way
to get separate memos/text per person is with separate tags.)

Hopefully the following is a "simple?" :-) run through on how Witnesses
"might" be used with a series of Residence tags.

When A&B marry and move, I might create a *single* Residence tag with
their New Town address. Depending upon how I constructed the various
narrative sentences for that one tag to read, as I found the records
that son C and daughter D were born I might modify that single tag to
change its date to a date range (From-To) and add C and D as Witnesses
to that one tag. Since each can have their own sentence, an example of
a unique sentence for C might be: "During his short life, C was also at
[L] during the family's residence [D]".

Now the family moves to Newer Town. Again, I might have a *single*
Residence tag with a date for the span of time the family lived there.
I would make the Parents the Principals, and all others Witnesses.

Since each person "can" have their own narrative sentence/memo for a tag
(but don't have to), I can have only *one* tag for each unique
residence. As others have mentioned, when I find evidence of a move, I
only have to copy *one* tag, then adjust the Location, Date range, and
add/delete Witnesses and memos/sentences in the one new tag as
necessary. That one tag now updates the entire family. Again, if a
person is only at a residence for part of its date range, then they can
have an appropriate unique sentence in that single tag. They don't need
a separate tag (although one could have one if that was preferred).

Hope this helps explain how Witnesses and Residence "might" be used,

Michael

P.S. I don't do this myself. I do consider the act of "moving" to be an
event on a specific date which I record in a tag for narrative output.
But, I seldom create Residence or Address tags. I will cite City
Directories or other such sources to a tag as proof of an address for
some specific "event" that occurred at that location. I also have
created Residence tags as convenient documentation of research
identifying a person (such as John mentioned). I use both Residence and
Address tags and typically exclude the Residence tags, but might output
Address tags for living people if I wanted that report to contain them.
Having separate tag types allows that separate output selection.

This thread: