TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300110230

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Add Multiple Witnesses to a Custom Event Tag
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:43:50 -0400

Martin,

I can't help with the specific problem of adding a lot of witnesses to a
tag.

I will urge you to reconsider how you are doing this. A single tag with
hundreds or thousands of witnesses will be difficult to create and maintain,
and it will be difficult to use in TMG. There is one significant benefit:
when you print a narrative report, the witness sentence will indicate the
main family (so to speak) of the person. Multiple-generation narrative
reports use other methods to indicate the earliest ancestor and so I am not
sure there is a lot of value to that.

As described, it seems you are using the tag-with-many-witnesses as a
segmentation scheme. Another way to segment people is to use a custom flag.
In this case, you might add a custom tag with 6 values, 1 to 6. You can use
a "is a descendant of" filter with a List of People report to set the value
of that flag. It's relatively simple to set, though there are some issues
around the edges such as when people descend from multiple progenitors. If
that happens a lot, you might consider using 6 separate flags with the
values Y and N to indicate whether or not a person is a member of a
particular family.

What type of output do you envision for this project? If you are going to
build a web site with Second Site, a flag value is more than sufficient to
indicate the family (or families) to which a person belongs. If your goal is
TMG output, describe that in a little detail so we can discuss the best way
to get there.

John

This thread: