TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300126010

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Add Multiple Witnesses to a Custom Event Tag
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:06:50 -0400

Martin wrote:
> What I hope to achieve is:
> Custom Tag = Tipper/Ellastone
> Role - Head of Family will have a Lead Sentence similar to
> this: "[:TAB:]
> [SCAP:][UND:]Thomas is considered to be the earliest known
> member of the Ellastone Group of the TIPPER families.[:UND][:CR:]"
> Role - Witness - will have "[:TAB:] [UND:][W] is a direct
> descendant of Thomas Tipper, who was born c1480. Thomas is
> considered to be the earliest known member of the Ellastone
> Group of the TIPPER families[:CR:][:UND]" for
> every person who is descended from Thomas Tipper.
>
> I shall have an evening at the pc and see what I can cobble
> together using the Flag technique.
>
> Thanks John, very useful as ever...

Martin,

I don't know of an easy way to produce _exactly_ what you described, but
there are a few different ways to get close. These methods are all specific
to Second Site output. For progenitors such as "Thomas Tipper", you can add
whatever tags you like to their TMG records. Given there are few of them,
it's easy to add the tags and maintain them. The challenge is to identify
the many people who are descendants, their spouses, etc.

1 - A very simple method is to use the Relationships section of Second Site
to add one or more relationship sentences to the person page entries. Let's
assume that the TMG IDs of the 6 main progenitors are 1,2,3,4,5 and 6. In
Second Site, if you set Relationships.Subject IDs to "1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6",
Second Site will add an entry to each person who is related to the listed
subjects. So, for example, William Tipper would have an entry
"Great-grandson of Thomas Tipper", and the name "Thomas Tipper" would be a
link to the person page entry of Thomas Tipper. If someone is related to
multiple subjects, no problem.

Method 1 doesn't add anything to people who are not directly related such as
the spouses of descendants. On the other hand, this method is very, cery
easy to implement.

2 - In TMG, you can define a custom flag and then use the List of People
report to set the value of the flag. I won't go into the details here, but I
can point you to step-by-step methods that have been written by experienced
users. The remaining methods all rely on one or more custom flags to
identify the descendants and other people of interest. You could use a
single custom flag and set the values to 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 to indicate that a
particular person is a descendant of a particular person, where 1 indicates
Thomas Tipper and 2 thru 6 indicate one of the others. A more powerful
method is to make a custom flag for each progenitor. So, you might have
these flags:

TTipper
JTipper
WTipper

So, a person with "TTipper" = "N" is not a descendant of Thomas Tipper. A
"Y" indicates a descendant, and you might use "S" for spouse or perhaps "C"
for collatoral, a person who was involved in the family but not a
descendant.

Once you have the flags defined and set, there are various ways to use them
in Second Site.

2.1 - You can add icons based on the value of a custom flag.

2.2 - You can create custom indexes that are limited to the people with
specific value(s) in a custom flag field.

2.3 - You can create multiple sets of web pages, one per progenitor, and
limit the people included in each set by the custom flag value.

There may be other options, too, but those are the ones that come to mind
first.

None of the methods described above add text to the body of the narrative of
the Second Site person page entry. On the other hand, they all identify the
progenitor of the current person in a way that is pretty obvious.

John

This thread: