TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300290107

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Cloud computing
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:41:52 -0500

On 3/16/2011 9:35 AM, W. Fred Rump wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Doris Wheeler<> wrote:
> > Of course, I'd want them to synch automatically with my home computer too so
>

> Why would you want the synch when everything is always there? Someday
> everything will be on the cloud.
> fred

Fred:

Not *my* everything! "The cloud" and its supporting Internet
infrastructure is the potential nightmare I have been reading about in
SciFi for decades now -- infected with evildoers, cyber-disease, and
very nosy people; and prone to incomprehensible issues. More
importantly, out of any individual's control, even when it comes to
their personal, irreplaceable, data.

My primary genealogy computer has not been connected to any network,
EVER, at least since I installed a new hard drive and loaded the O/S
from CD -- which to a computer is exactly the same as never. It never
will be connected, as long as it is my primary genealogy computer,
either; even though I'm running an 802.11n wireless network in my
apartment (with strong encryption, of course).

I love the Internet, for any number of reasons. It would be excruciating
for me to give it up. However, the potential drawbacks to centralized
data storage for "everybody" are huge. This caution doesn't sell new
computers or software, so you don't hear about it very much. Get a copy
of the original TRON and watch it, and remember why the computer
revolution was fueled not by mainframes but by PCs -- PERSONAL computers.

Darrell

This thread: