TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300307593

From: Patt Ricketts <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] FTM
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 13:33:13 -0700

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Rose Staples <> wrote:

> My file has 23,605 individuals I have been doing serious research for over
> 15 years. Its time I start working on publishing my family history and
> really want to use TMG but right now I am feeling very overwhelmed. Perhaps
> I am going to have to go through each individual and correct everything.
> Not
> everyone in my file is my relative I have collected information on many New
> Brunswick families. So I suppose I should start with my self and work back
> and just correct everything it will be a huge project.
>
> I don't know where to start right now I found the import process very very
> long perhaps I need to do it differently.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rose Staples PLCGS

Rose,

When I transferred to TMG I had over 20,000 records and it was a daunting
task. I didn't use FTM so I can't advise you on that.

However, I suggest you first make a cleaned flag and give every the value
of N. Then as you clean your data change the value to Y. This way you can
tell who is done and who is not. Some people have even accented this so they
can tell by the color who is cleaned.

Next, I suggest you don't need to do it all at once. Start with a small
group e.g. start with your grandfather or great grandfather and do his
descendants.

Next, reward yourself. Once you've completed a stage, take some time to do
new research.

Cleaning the project up will help you learn TMG and don't forget to ask
questions. People on this list love to answer newbie questions.

--
Patt Ricketts
www.jackandpatt.com

This thread: