TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300398978

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] FTM
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:56:18 -0400

Teresa Elliott wrote:
> Actually Terry, to an extent I agree. I like the
> repetitious part of using the global sentence, but try
> and get away from it being boring by adding good memos.
> Not all my people are well researched though and so it
> can be boring. If I were going to consistently make the
> same change in a WP, I would do the editing in TMG. <[M]>
> is a legitimate TMG sentence. <G>

I think using a standard format for the basic data has merit in itself. I use the BMDB-first option in TMG's Journals and in my narratives on Second Site. With the data stated in a consistent way the reader isn't left trying to figure out whether a difference between the text for two people means something or not.

Where I often had difficulty is with the rest of the information. I use Sentences with a standard format in Census tags for a "standard" family - head of household, with or without spouse, and with or without children. But beyond that things can quickly get complicated, and I prefer to write text specifically for the case in the Memo. I have standard Sentences for common "events", such as occupation, land transactions, moved, and immigration, and use them for simpler cases, often with some details in the Memo. But if the case gets complex I commonly change the Sentence to [M] and write the whole thing in the Memo.

My earlier comments about needing to use local Sentences (often just [M] with the required variables in the Memo) are directed at this kind of data, not BMDB.

Terry Reigel

This thread: