TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300406996

From: Rick Van Dusen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Cloud computing
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:09:56 -0700

I'm in a similar situation to an extent. My main personal computer
doubles as a file/print server, and is in active use on and off 24/7, so
leaving it on is only a slight step. It also allows functions which
can't happen if the machine is ever off. (I do shut this machine down
once a week for less than two hours for backups, and I have to do that
at a time when nobody else is using a computer, which ain't easy.)

As Lee does, I have the computer set to reduce power after 20 minutes of
inactivity. However, I don't put it into full sleep mode due to the
server demands.

Naturally, my networking equipment is also on 24/7. And all computers,
monitors, and networking are connected to UPSs, so I'm not hampered by
power outages.

Other computers, being used much less often, are only on when used, or
from the time they're turned on until the last user goes to bed.

Just to give a more quantitative answer re the power bill impact: At
this moment, with the computer in full use, it's pulling 181 watts
(that's computer, monitor, and three networking devices). That's nearly
two 100-watt light bulbs, but note that this is full usage, not in
reduced power or with monitor turned off (which I do overnight). (I've
done everything I can to have this computer energy-efficient, such as
very green power supply, thermo-controlled fans.)

Our bill takes much more hit from people using the TV and game devices,
and having lights on much of the night. (But that's a whole different
problem and not on-topic. <g>)

Lee Hoffman wrote:
> Rae Jean <> wrote:
>> I am curious -- do you leave all of your computers running 24/7?
>> If so, what impact does that have on your utility bill?
>
> Yes, I leave all my computers (three desktops and a server) running
> 24/7. Plus a couple of laptops are often plugged in for
> charging. Yes, the utility bill is impacted although not that much.
>
> Usage on the computers is such that they are being used almost
> anytime day or night. Thus, with 24/7 operation, the extra time and
> expense of start-up and shutdown is eliminated which offsets the
> added costs of full-time operation. All my systems are configured to
> go into sleep mode after 20 minutes which also reduces operational costs.
>
> 24/7 operation also allows me to do a lot of scheduling of jobs that
> take time to do. Mostly these are backup and security checking and
> most of these are scheduled for times when the system is least likely
> to be used for normal work.
>
> Hope this helps -
>
> Lee Hoffman/KY

This thread: