TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300561285

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Adoptions
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 15:01:25 -0400

Tom Kintner wrote:
> I have a child, Edna, dau of Earl, whose mother died soon
> after birth, and she was adopted by an aunt and uncle.
> How do I get the date of adoption into the "adopted" tags?

Are you talking about the Relationship tags with "ado" or an Event tag?

Relationship tags do not have dates. They display in the parent's Detail View with the date and place from the Child's Primary Birth tag. You cannot change that. But that only appears in that view, not in any reports.

Adoption Event tags, like any event tags, have date fields and you can enter the date of the adoption there. Creating such a tag is the way to explain when (and where) an adoption took place.

You need to use caution when entering an "ado" Relationship tag. If you don't make it Primary for the child, it has no effect other than appearing in the Tag Box for both parent and child. If you do make it primary for the child it is treated exactly the same as a biological relationship - the child will appear to be the biological child of the adopted parents in all TMG screens and reports that display that information, with the sole exception that the "ado" appears in the Details view.

> Secondarily, the flag for Adoption either Y or N,
> regardless of the dates involved. But, Edna was not
> adopted at birth.

The flag is intended to simply record that a person was adopted, without reference to the age at adoption.

This thread: