TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300759587

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Name changes in narratives
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:06:27 -0400

Ian Singer wrote:
> Please explain "no reason"

Ian,

I meant to write "no trouble" but evidently there are crossed wires between
my fingers and my brain.

> If the person was born Alec, and I had a name variation of Alex, and I
> made that primary, I want to remove that primary designation
> and revert Alec back to primary.

Go to Alex's TMG record and click on the Name-Var tag where the given name
is Alec. Then click the "*" button in the toolbar to make that name tag
primary.

> How do I find all people whose name
> variation is primary to revert them?

I don't understand that question. You seem to be assigning a characteristic
"is a variation" to name tags, and there really is no such characteristic.
There are name tags with the label "Name-Var"--they are the most common type
used in TMG projects--but that's just a label and doesn't signify that the
name is an alternative to some other name.

Everyone has at least one name tag because TMG requires it. In addition, one
of the person's name tags must be marked primary. The default name tag type
is "Name-Var", so most name tags in a TMG project, primary or otherwise, are
Name-Var tags.

Some people have more than one name tag. One or both name tags may be
"Name-Var". Some married women may have a name tag with the label
"Name-Marr".

There's no automatic way to change the non-primary name tag to be the
primary name tag. I am not sure why anyone would ever want to do that
anyway. If you've made a mistake and set the wrong name tag as the primary
name for some specific person, you edit that person and set the primary name
tag as described above.

John

This thread: