TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1300838641

From: Rick Van Dusen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Fwd: Re: Name changes in narratives
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:04:01 -0700

Ditto:

1. Not only to "aid further research" but to keep me from getting more
confused than I am already.

2. In fact, today I've been on email concerning my paternal
grandmother's monumental work--that will eventually require verification
of every fact because there's nary a source citation (I think there's
actually one). And those sources (personal correspondence 1920-1960) is
long-gone and the writers with it. No distinction whatever between "A
told B who told C who told me from memory" and "birth certificate
confirmed by mother". We heirs to the work have been hindered in adding
to her work by the need to re-do all of it.

Puh-LEEZ right back at you, Darrell. I do and I recommend doing exactly
that, citing a source for each and every fact of each and every person.
It doesn't have to print in a report (and in fact, not all my facts need
to print in a report), but it really should be there at least for me.

Allen Mellen wrote:

> On 3/22/2011 11:00 AM, Terry Reigel wrote:
>> Darrell A. Martin wrote:
>>
>>> I take source documentation much more
>>> seriously than to put such a fractured fairy tale into
>>> TMG. "You think you recall an argument from years ago,
>>> between two very old distant relatives whose names you
>>> can't remember? Puh-LEEZ!!"
>>>
>> Well no. But I would probably cite it with my "personal knowledge" Source, which refers to me, and add in the CD something like "recalling a conversation between two elderly relatives at a family reunion in the late 1980s"
>>
> I'm with Terry on this -- for at least two reasons. First, like Terry,
> I consider that a major use of sources is for my benefit - to aid in
> further research. Second, if anyone picks up this work after I'm no
> longer here, I want to leave a trail they can follow.
>
> Allen

This thread: