TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301010698

From: Rick Van Dusen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] The Master Place List
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:51:38 -0700

Rose, I looked through the link Terry gave you, and it covers most all
of what you'll need, and gets into the specifics of the MPL more in
detail than is appropriate here, and Ian and Teresa made sure you'll
understand merging duplicates.

However, merging duplicates has some details to it that might not be
obvious.

1. There is no "Merge" button. Merges occur automatically, but only
between exact duplicates. If you have two records which are almost the
same, you edit the unfavored version match the favored version.

2. Place records won't merge unless they're identical, and I do mean
identical: Los Angeles CA is not the same as Los Angeles Ca. But there's
more: If you have two records which appear absolutely identical, they
still might have ended up having different Place Styles. You needn't
worry about checking these details until duplicates won't merge even
after the Optimize.

3. Duplicates which you have successfully merged will not become only
one listing until after you optimize (as Teresa said). After a few
changes/mergers, exit the MPL, go to File>Maintenance>Optimize, and then
return to make more fixes in the MPL.

4. If you have a number of place records which need a similar
correction, you can use the Replace function. Enter the existing
incorrect entry in the left column and the correction in the right
column. (There are specifics about which fields to enter on which side,
but that gets too lengthy for here.)

The beauty of the MPL (as Ian noted) is that if you have, say, 55 events
with a place of "Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA", 35 events with a
place of "Los Angeles, CA", and events with a place of "Los Angeles,
Ca", when you're done correcting and merging, all 93 events will have
the same place (and you didn't have to go through 93 events to fix each
one!).

The bulk of your repairs will be putting the right elements into the
right fields, since FTM has one field for "location", and stripping out
non-place components, since actually, FTM's one field includes the
details of the event as well as the location. My suggestions:

1. Don't try to fix within MPL the records that contain non-place
elements. Instead, go to those events (select a record, click the Events
button, pick an event, click Edit, and cut/paste the non-place bits into
the Memo. Close your way back to the Events list and do another, or back
to the MPL and start on another place record. (After purging the
non-place elements, you can fix the place within the MPL.)

2. GenBridge (TMG's import facility) will try to infer which elements of
the place go into which fields, but often won't get it just right.
Here's where the Ctl-arrow moves are great.

3. You'll begin to really appreciate TMG's multi-field approach as a
tool for being consistent!

4. Remember that even if you use alternate Place Styles, you still have
the same fields, e.g. L2 is L2 no matter whether it's called Detail or
you've named it Village, or Mortimer, and it will sort and show up in
the MPL as L2. I urge you to deal with additional subdivisions (as you
may need to) by setting your own standard arrangement that fits within
the default US Place Style. For example, as I'm dealing with hamlets
within towns (NY), I enter both the hamlet and the town in L3 ("City"),
keeping Detail for local address (street, or cemetery name, etc.) and
County for county.

(I see the value of alternate Place Styles in data entry for
non-US-standard places, for instance UK, so that the user is not
confused every time s/he enters a place.)

Teresa Elliott wrote:
> To add to what Ian said, once you have made corrections you may see
> duplicates in the list. To merge those you need to run Optimize to clean up
> the list.
>
> Another great help in TMG is the HELP FILE. In any screen, type F1 (that's
> the function 1 key usually found at the top of your keyboard). It will
> bring up a help file for that specific screen.

This thread: