TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301181520

From: John Yates <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG8 and the iPhone
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:18:40 -0400

Personal opinion:

On 3/26/2011 6:29 PM, Rick Van Dusen wrote:
> Personal opinion: I'm hoping that a future version (near-future,
> preferably) will move from the Visual FoxPro development environment,
> not only--or primarily--to make possible some support for other than
> Windows, but also to overcome some of the limitations mentioned on this
> list recently.

SQLite would be a good option.

Ancestry contracted with a 3rd party company to take their FTM code
base and simply code a native Mac version. Perhaps expensive, but
perhaps worth it for those of us who will not run a Windows native
application without a lot of kicking and screaming. And once it is
done, maintenance of the code should not be too difficult to take
over from that point on, for good programmers anyway.

> Of course this will be a HUGE undertaking for WG, and we users are
> likely to have some re-learning to do as well.

On the surface, I don't see why a back end database change should
affect anything in the front end. It shouldn't for a well architected
code base.

John