TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301244429

From: Rick Van Dusen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] re irregular date
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:47:09 -0700

However, if (after you've done the checks recommended here) the record
clearly says Feb 29, 1767, even though you know this is impossible, I
believe it should be entered with that date (but with a sort date of Feb
28 or Mar 1), since that is what the record says. And you'll just have
to let it be an irregular date. (You could/should add a note in the Memo
or in the CD stating what exactly you saw, e.g. the actual image.)

(A researcher is responsible for reporting his/her findings, not for
those findings being correct or incorrect in the original, and certainly
not for "interpreting" the evidence [as in this case, deciding what date
it "must have been"].)

Bob Geldart wrote:
> Or could be February 27th? Ive often seen the 7 and 9 look alike on
> old documents, depending on how the crossbar/loop appears
>
> Bob
>
> At 3/27/2011 11:04 AM, Teresa Elliott wrote:
>> Could it be the 28th and the handwriting is just hard to read?

This thread: