TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301250223

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] re irregular date February 30!
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:23:45 -0500

On 3/27/2011 10:04 AM, Teresa Elliott wrote:
> Could it be the 28th and the handwriting is just hard to read?

Hi:

The Swedish conversion from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian can
break your brain. At first they tried to do it in steps, by eliminating
every February 29th until they were in synch with the new system (I
believe they were completely alone in this approach). They gave up on
the plan and went back to the Julian calendar. To backtrack, in Sweden
the year 1712 contained two leap days: February 29th was the normal one,
while a February 30th(!!) was added.

*NOTE*: The Swedes did make the change to the Gregorian calendar in
1753. So the calendar change should not have anything to do with a Feb.
29 date, in 1767. However, it is not impossible that the trauma of the
botched and redone conversion to Gregorian may have left some people
baffled....

Darrell

This thread: