TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301270444

From: "Teresa Elliott" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] re irregular date
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:00:44 -0500

I tend to agree with Rick here. I'd record the date as it was recorded with
the source. HOWEVER, I would also put in the memo that 1767 was not a leap
year and therefore this date is most likely incorrect. I'd look for evidence
that this priest made other errors in copying data. Perhaps this record was
not made when the child was born, but rather at a later date, say when the
family entered the community and it's a transcription error. Perhaps the
dates are in columns and he did what a lot of us tend to do when we are
bored. He copied the months, then the days, then the years and got off one
row. Or perhaps I am looking at a transcription and the person transcribing
it couldn't read the text. I tend to put that into the memo field because I
tend to at times not attach sources to information. I know printed reports
with endnotes, tend to get separated from each other, and finally because I
know my family does not bother to move from text to footnotes and back. I
know this because they often ask me how I know this or what do these little
numbers mean?

Terry records this same information in the citation and there is nothing
wrong with that. I think the issue is that we record that we conclude that
this date is wrong, and why. We've seen a lot of discussion today on the
calendars in use, something even we genealogist couldn't agree on, so how
would a layperson even know about the different calendars and the dates they
were used?